Wednesday, 6 March 2013

NARS Blush In Orgasm - search for the perfect dupe

When I heard about this big hype for the NARS orgasm blush I decided to try it at the store. I must admit that I immediately fell in love. It was pretty expensive at around $30 and I couldn't justify spending that much. I thought I'd find a dupe and thus began my search for the perfect dupe.

Foolishly enough I spent quite a bit of money, now that I think about it, on the dupes. Of course, I didn't buy them all at a time. I kept on purchasing one after another as I failed to find that same look/effect that I saw when I tried the blush in store. Sadly, most of the claimed 'dupes' failed to feel like a dupe to me. It could be my skin tone or something because I've seen others claiming certain product to be a 99% dupe when those same products looked totally different on my skintone.

I finally gave up looking for a dupe when I received the NARS Orgasm/laguna duo as a present during Eid. Since then I've been meaning to do a comparison especially now that I can compare the so-called "dupes" to Orgasm in order to help anyone out there who is looking for the perfect match to the blush without having to spend the $30 or so. So the blushes that I will be going through are:

1) Milani Baked blush in Luminoso
2) Milani Baked blush in Rose D'oro
3) NYX Powder Blush in Pinched
4) ELF Studio Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder duo in St. Lucia
5) ELF Essential Blush in "Glow" (discontinued $1 blush with the pull out tray)
6) ELF Studio Blush in Candid Coral
7) ELF Studio Blush in Twinkle Pink
8) La Femme Blush in Coral Spice
9) La Femme Blush in Peach Sparkle
10) Jordana Powder Blush in Coral Sandy Beach
11) Sleek Blush in Rose Gold
12) Sleek Blush by 3 in Lace (the middle shade:Guipure)

I bought some because I liked them by themselves and some because I heard they were dupes. Some of the 'dupes' are pretty on their own and is nice to have in your collection. Anyway, enough blabbering now on to the pictures:

 NARS Orgasm 
Notice how the base colour is more pink than peach. It is still a peachy pink blush but it leans more towards the pink and I think the peach colour is reflected more from the golden shimmers (image below)
 You can see why this blush is peachy pink. The peach comes mostly from the golden shimmers. If you mix a golden colour to pink you'll get a peach-ish tone because of the yellow from the golden. Below is a swatch comparison at different angles so that you have an idea of how similar/different they are (these photos are without flash):
Top (L to R): Sleek Rose Gold, Guipure from Sleek Blush by 3 in Lace
Middle: NARS Orgasm
Bottom (L to R): ELF Duo in St. Lucia, ELF $1 Glow, ELF Candid Coral, ELF Twinkle Pink, Milani Rose D'oro, Milani Luminoso, NYX Pinched, Jordana Coral Sandy Beach, La Femme Peach Sparkle, La Femme Coral Spice.
 When I turn my arm you can see that the Sleek blushes on the top have that golden shimmer that Orgasm has.
 In this photo you can see that the Sleek blushes are darker more coral than peachy pink. Here, ELF Twinkle Pink, ELF blush from duo in St Lucia, NYX Pinched, and La Femme Coral Spice have more of a pink tone compared to the rest. I'll leave few more pictures for you to be the judge:

The ones below are taken with flash


For a better view of the individual blushes please watch my Youtube video below:


My personal thoughts from how each of the blushes appear on my skin:

1) Milani Baked blush in Luminoso : more peachy than pink I don't see any similarity
2) Milani Baked blush in Rose D'oro: more reddish brown no similarity
3) NYX Powder Blush in Pinched: very similar pink tone but it has a subtle golden sheen in comparison to the golden shimmer on Orgasm. If you're fond of Orgasm but wish it didn't have so much golden in it then you'd probably like NYX Pinched.
4) ELF Studio Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder duo in St. Lucia: It looks quite similar at certain angles but it's more peach and less pink. It also has very little golden glow to it compared to orgasm.
5) ELF Essential Blush in "Glow" (discontinued $1 blush with the pull out tray): pinker than Luminoso or Candid Coral but still not pink enough to be similar. Also missing the golden shimmer like Orgasm.
6) ELF Studio Blush in Candid Coral: More of a peachy orange blush. I don't see any similarity.
7) ELF Studio Blush in Twinkle Pink: Slightly lighter pink but still very similar. It also has the golden shimmer. BUT, they are more like scattered golden sparkles than the finely milled golden in Orgasm. I wish the golden sparkles were a little more finely milled or evened out in Twinkle Pink because then it would've been a good dupe.
8) La Femme Blush in Coral Spice: I don't see any similarity besides the fact that it has pink in it.
9) La Femme Blush in Peach Sparkle: not a dupe
10) Jordana Powder Blush in Coral Sandy Beach: not a dupe
11) Sleek Blush in Rose Gold: darker pink than Orgasm with exact same golden sheen. If you find that you like Orgasm but it is not pigmented enough for your skin tone or if it is too light for you then Rose Gold is the perfect alternative.
12) Sleek Blush by 3 in Lace (the middle shade:Guipure): darker pink than Orgasm but a tiny bit lighter than Rose Gold. It also has the exact same golden sheen as the Orgasm blush. Recommended for those who find Orgasm to be too light or less pigmented.

In a nutshell, my favourite dupes are ELF Twinkle Pink, NYX Pinched, Sleek Rose Gold and Guipure from Sleek Blush by 3 in Lace. I love the other blushes too but I just don't think they are dupes for the Orgasm, at least not for my skintone. Please remember that how a shade appears sometimes depends on your shade and undertone especially for blushes since they are blended out on your cheeks so your own skin colour plays a role. Just because a blush does not appear to be pretty on me doesn't mean it wont look good on you. These are just my personal opinions from how they look on me.

Finally, if you have any questions then please leave me a comment below!

Thank you for visiting :)

2 comments:

  1. Great post! This was very helpful and it shows that you put a lot of effort into it.

    fairestsfavorites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete